"Gut Health"... I bet you've been hearing that phrase more and more lately, haven't you?
There's a good reason for that. It might seem like a new idea, but way back in the day, Hippocrates (yeah, The Father of Medicine who lived before Jesus walked the earth) said that "all disease begins in the gut". So it’s definitely not a new idea, but as we move forward discovering new methods and treatments, we sometimes forget the foundation on which our knowledge is built. When our foundation goes out of whack, it's good to go back to basics.
The more I learn about all of the body functions and abilities that are affected by an unhealthy gut, the more impressed I am by the importance of regaining and maintaining our gut health.
• About 70% of our immune system is held in the gut.
• The gut controls many of our hormones, not just those that influence metabolism.
• 95% of our serotonin is produced in the small intestine. Low serotonin is attributed to anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.
• An unhealthy bacterial environment in the gut is linked to poor sleep.
• The "Enteric Nervous System" (ENS) of the gut communicates with the brain in ways that doctors and scientists are only beginning to understand. Maybe you've heard of the "gut-brain axis" or having a "gut feeling" about something? It affects our digestion, cognition, and emotions... it's why we get that "butterflies in the stomach" feeling. A healthy gut means a healthy ENS.
So what steps can you take to improve your gut health? Where do you even begin?
Good nutrition and hydration are great places to start. Clean and healthy foods and lots of filtered water are crucial to the health of the entire body, not just the gut. Sleep, exercise, and meditation/avoiding stress also help.
Let's talk about supplements specifically targeting the gut... prebiotics, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and fiber are all important to supplement because most of us just aren't getting enough through our normal diets, even when we're doing all we can to eat in a healthy way. Read this blog for detail about how each of these things supports a healthy gut:
Here's one supplement from Young Living that not only supports gut health, but helps you get all of your greens in during the day!
I put together a wishlist for you to make ordering exactly what you need more simple. If you set it up as a customizable subscription box aka "Loyalty Rewards" order, you will receive a free Desert Mist diffuser from Young Living if your second month's order is at least 50PV or about $50. You can easily change what's in your Loyalty Rewards orders and which day it processes each month. Cancel any time.
A really great perk with this order is that you'll unlock your 24% discount for an entire year when your order reaches 100PV (about $100)!
Something else I've been doing that is already making a HUGE difference for me: the 5-Day Nutritive Cleanse.
I almost hate using the word "Cleanse" for it because people usually think of something a lot harsher on the body than what this does.
I drink 3 shakes a day, take one digestion-supporting capsule 3x a day, drink NingXia Red (juice) 3x a day, drink a lot of water, and even have 3 small snacks each day. It's all very easily digestible and nutritional and gives the digestive system a bit of a break so it can heal.
I'm here for you! If you have any questions or need more info on any of these products before you click to submit your order, please reach out to me.